Duncan - 1994 Discovery 1

Moderators: Jarek M, ini88

Re: Duncan - 1994 Discovery 1

Postby Jarek M » Tue May 10, 2016 9:15 am

If you stay on top of rust prevention yearly, no reason it wouldn't last forever.
Boar - 95' Discovery 1, with OM617 Turbo Diesel conversion
YouTube
Jarek M

Vehicle(s): D1, D2, S3

Postby Coniston » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:47 pm

It's been two years since I updated the thread, so a bit of what's what.

Duncan's continued to be a great daily driver. I've put a LOT more work into him, but since early 2015 he's been solid for over 32,000 miles of adventure. There's been some issues, but he's been all over.

Rallies...OVLR Birthday Party 2016 and 2018, with a breakdown in 2017 leading to a tow and a rental car. MAR in 2017 with a wandering back home via WV/OH/PA. Romp in 2017. Muddy Chef in 2017. Guy Fawkes every year.

And the big one...the Mendo_Recce Joe Lucas Not-a-Rallye in California this April, in the middle of a 7,000-mile roadtrip across the country and back. I stopped at Moab on the White Rim Trail, headed through the Lost Coast of California, wandered through the Alvord Desert in Oregon, and then home via the Tetons.

I'm "working on this for my blog," but I'm way behind, so the best entry on it is the one I wrote for the Atlantic British blog. There's also an article in the Summer 2018 Alloy+Grit.

https://www.roverparts.com/News/archive ... overy1.cfm

In between that all, journeys near and far to visit friends around the area, head to work, head to curling, head to the supermarket. It truly is a car for all seasons. Though I love the RRCs, this is a more useful vehicle.

Here's to much more adventure. I have dreams of exploring the world with this truck -- literally. Have container, will travel?
Greg
Duncan: 1994 Discovery 1
Butler: 1994 Range Rover Classic County LWB
Spenny: 1993 Range Rover Classic/Series IIA 108" Station Wagon Hybrid Project
Coniston
Master Mechanic

Vehicle(s): 1994 D1, 1994 RRC LWB, 1993 RRC/108" IIA Hybrid Project

Postby Jarek M » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:01 pm

You all should consider organising waxoil parties
Boar - 95' Discovery 1, with OM617 Turbo Diesel conversion
YouTube
Jarek M

Vehicle(s): D1, D2, S3

Postby Coniston » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm

So I've definitely got to give Duncan some love. After that amazing trip, I've really beat the crap out of him. The broken shock did not help AT ALL. I have a driveline rumble, the engine is down on compression (I think due to a leaky head gasket out the side, away from the coolant passages), and I left the sunroof open this summer and got the interior wet, so I really need to do a teardown and diagnose everything.

There's also some rust, but it is surprisingly contained for a D1. Floorboards, A pillar driver's side, B pillar passenger's, inner wings. All kinda normal. I would expect much worse with its history. It will need constant welding over time, but it's not foregone like Spenny.

So the goal is once Butler can take over DD duty, I strip out Duncan's interior, fix the water damage, fix the rust, and reassemble with the things I keep meaning to fix inside. This truck always being my DD has led to some very mild neglect due to the time I have to work on it and the need to drive something. Having the two trucks will help.
Greg
Duncan: 1994 Discovery 1
Butler: 1994 Range Rover Classic County LWB
Spenny: 1993 Range Rover Classic/Series IIA 108" Station Wagon Hybrid Project
Coniston
Master Mechanic

Vehicle(s): 1994 D1, 1994 RRC LWB, 1993 RRC/108" IIA Hybrid Project

Previous

Return to Builds